- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces chicken livers, trimmed
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4- to 1/3-inch cubes (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoons dry Sherry, bourbon, or Cognac
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Fresh parsley sprig
- Rye bread slices, toasted
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté until pale golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add chicken livers, apple, and marjoram; sauté until livers are no longer pink inside and apple is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer warm liver mixture to processor. Add hard-boiled eggs, Sherry, and salt; puree until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to fine to medium sieve set over large bowl. Using sturdy rubber spatula, press mixture through sieve into bowl. Mix in remaining 1/2 cup butter. Season pâté to taste with freshly ground pepper. Transfer to small serving bowl. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and chill.
- Garnish pâté with parsley and serve with toasted rye bread.