According to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is "the best drink in existence. Drinking one is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a LARGE gold brick. Drink...but...very carefully..."
Here's a modern day version of the drink:
- 1/2 oz Vodka
- 1/2 oz Yukon Jack
- 1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
- 1/2 oz Jack Daniels
- 1/2 oz Triple sec
- 1/2 oz Grenadine
- Lime juice
- Pineapple juice
- Top with 7-Up
Fill Collins glass with ice. Add first 5 ingredients. Fill glass almost to the top with pineapple and lime juices, add Grenadine for color, and top off the glass with 7-Up or Slice. Shake or stir.
Here is the recipe as it occurs in the book...
- "Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.
- Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V
- Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
- Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).
- Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones.
- Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.
- Sprinkle Zamphour.
- Add an olive.
- Drink...but very carefully."